Sorry friends I'm posting oats pongal again as I deleted the orginal post by mistake.
Oats are my favorite for all seasons, I love having them in all seasons. It is considered as heart food and also I read some where in net that oats will provide us the good cholesterol for our body. They are rich in fiber content especially soluble fiber, I know the difference between soluble fiber and insoluble fiber in our body. Soluble fiber is "soluble" in water. Soluble fiber has many benefits, including moderating blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol. The scientific names for soluble fibers include pectins, gums, mucilages, and some hemicelluloses. Good sources of soluble fiber include oats and oatmeal, legumes, barley, fruits and vegetables . Sometimes Oats is considered as heart food because it lowers the cholesterol levels in blood, which lowers the risk of heart attack.
On a whole oats with protein pulses is the best combo for the diabetics and heart patients. I'm a science student, I have studied many subjects including cancer, diabetics, etc., every where I found about the importance of oats. From then I thought Oats is such an important food why we are avoiding it? Let's have it once in a three days. what do you say?
Now for the Oats Pongal you will need
yellow moong dal/Split green gram/pesara pappu-1/4cup
Green chili/ pepper corns chopped-2ts
salt to taste
water as needed
make a paste of 2 garlic cloves and 2-3 black pepper's
- Cook Moong dal with enough water and little salt, mash it and keep aside.
- Take a pan and heat 2ts of vegetable oil/olive oil.
- Add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter
- Then add Onions and green chili cook until onions turn transparent.
- Now add turmeric+ salt as required + garlic pepper paste and cook until raw flavor of garlic goes away.
- Add 1cup of water and boil.
- Now add oats slowly by stirring.
- Oats get cook very fast finally add the mashed moong dal paste and mix well.
- Cook for few min under medium flame, add water if required.
- Finally garnish with cilantro oats poha is ready to serve.