Methi Paratha or green leaf bread of India, is made with very nutritious leafy vegetable. It's unique flavor gives very nice taste to the bread. I love having it any time, for break fast, lunch/dinner. There are many versions of methi paratha with simple variations, some prepare stuffed one, some prepare onion-methi paratha etc., today we will see the basic version of methi paratha.
- Wheat flour 2 cups -makes around 5 parathas
- Fresh fenugreek leaves 1 cup ( picked leaves)
- Coriander/cilantro leaves a handful
- Curd or yogurt approximately 3 tspn
- Green chilies 3-finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste 1tspn
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tspn
- Sugar 1 tspn(or less)-optional
- Oil 1 tbsp(3-4 tspn….3 tspn for mixing in dough and rest for applying on parathas while cooking)
- Salt as per taste
- Take 2 cups of wheat flour,add salt,turmeric powder and sugar
- Pick methi leaves,rinse thoroughly with water,place these in colander to drain out excess water
- Coarsely grind (without adding water) methi leaves along with chopped coriander leaves,green chillies.
- You can use ginger garlic paste or you can add 5 cloves of garlic and about an inch size piece of ginger to methi mixture while grinding, add this mixture to the flour
- Beat the curd properly ,add little water if needed to prepare sort of buttermilK.
- Add this buttermilk little by little and knead the flour till it binds properly(as done for phulka or rotis)
- Finally add 1 tbsp of oil and smoothen it all round.
- Let it rest (covered) for about an hour
- Later divide the dough into 5-6 small size rounds.
- Roll each one as regular roti(not too thick as parathas but not too thin like phulka)
- Place it on hot griddle and roast it on both sides,drizzling a tad of oil while flipping ,till small brown spots appear on surface
- Serve them with any curry/ curd