How to make dal (pappu charu) without tamarind?

This is quick and easy version of dal. My mother used to prepare this during late mornings. Lemon is the quick substitute for tamarind. However it tastes different from regular pappu charu, it got it's unique flavor in it.

Ingredients
Yellow lentils/ toor dal / kandi pappu- 1cup
Turmeric-1/4ts
onions chopped-1/2cup
Lemon juice-squeezed fresh from a large lemon
Cumin seeds- few
mustard seeds- few
red chili-1
Ghee/ vegetable oil-2ts
Salt to taste
Chili powder-1tsp
 Method:

  • Take toor dal in a pressure cooker and wash them, add 2 cups of water and turmeric and cook for 3 whistles.
  • wait until all gas escapes from cooker and mash the toor dal finely.
  • Add lemon juice, salt, chili powder and mix well. Add little water and cook in simmer for few minutes.
  • Mean while prepare tempering  in a pan heat oil/ ghee and add cumin seeds+ mustard seeds + red chili and wait until they splutter.
  • Now add this tempering to dal and mix well.
  • The Pappu charu is ready to serve.

Hope you like my recipe :)
  • Note: you can still increase it's taste by adding green chili and tomato.

Comments

  1. Perfect with hot steamed rice,ghee n papad :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm joining Aipi for this wonderful treat!!! Yummmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy dal..love with hot rice and papad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear DD
    How are you? It has been ages since I ate any kind of Charu, in fact had forgotten about it. Now I will make using your recipe.
    have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum n nice ....adding lemon is gud idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can survive for many days with this pappu charu, its been a long i used tamarind in my dals or pappus, i do add lemon juice to give a tanginess to this dal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey dat loooks gud...we normallly dont add tamarind or lemon to dal but u r temptg me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply delish! Dal equals comfort food. I too make dal in a similar way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a beautiful dal...gorgeous color and I love the use of lemon here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ve never used tamarind or lemon in dal.. Now I feel like I should try both...

    ReplyDelete
  11. that sounds good and like the idea of replacing tamarind as I know a few people who are not big fans of tamarind. My attya's husband liked to add only tart tomatoes instead of tamarind to make sambar, so this is similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a comfort curry... Never tried adding lemon though will try next time...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice and wonderful !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we call this as lemon rasam..looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, seem great and yummy recipe, sure i will try this,

    Indian kitchen tool

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by GOOD FOOD RECIPES
Bookmark this blog, or subscribe via email, the recipes will reach your inbox
Do not forget to like me on Facebook and follow me on twitter :)
Please come back again :)
your DD :)